Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Love and Trust

Chiara is nearly 3 weeks old here. She gets cuddled and kissed and picked up when she would probably rather just be left alone! These two 'older girls' just love her to bits. They wake up and ask where she is and what she's doing. They ask for holds before they go to bed and insist on watching and helping during nappy changing, bath time and feeds! At 3 weeks Chiara still sleeps most of the day, having quite long sleeps sometimes too - anywhere up to 5 hours during the day and is sleeping through some nights already - but usually goes to bed around 9 and wakes at about 3am and then sleeps till about 7am.

She's getting plenty of milk though and feeds quite quickly. She's pretty spewy and 'spits up' after most feeds - but it's not so bad! She is growing fast!!

I have found having 3 kids makes you pretty busy, but I have also found some things so much easier  than when I just had Leilani as a baby. The girls are really quite helpful and just having someone around other than a baby to talk to is quite nice.

Leilani in particular is really quite useful and not just at 'getting things', but entertaining her if she gets upset or moving her to make her more comfortable. She also helps out just by holding her for a few minutes (which usually puts her to sleep as well!) or watching her while I have a shower etc. It's so much easier taking a shower knowing that if your baby wakes up and is screaming your 6 year old will come and tell you rather than you stressing the whole time you're in the shower as I used to when I just had Leilani. 

I can really trust Lani with Chiara and know that she will do the right thing with her. (Although that's not saying I can run to the shops alone just yet, but if I'm in the other room I know they will all be okay!)

Emily on the other hand, I don't completely trust just yet!!! She is still a fantastic helper and does a great job at helping me keep Chiara happy and entertained when needed, helps by getting things for me and loves to hold and cuddle her - and does a great job too. She is always gentle and kind towards her but she can get a little side-tracked sometimes!! Like a few weeks ago when I was vacuuming and asked Em to keep an eye on Chiara while I was down in the front room. Chiara was just sitting up happily in her swing so I wasn't too worried but then when I turned the vacuum cleaner off I could straight away hear Chiara screaming her head off! I found Em just playing in her room happily by herself and when I asked her did she know that Chiara was crying she says 'yeah'!!! I guess that's why she went to her room - so that she couldn't hear the crying! lol

They both really do love and adore their little sister though - even more than I thought they would!










2 comments:

Elle said...

Nice one Emily.

lauracritchfield said...

I'm a bit jealous. Not only would I imagine that girls would like to look after babies more than boys I think I would like to have a 6 year old and then have a new baby but that would be impossible for me because of my age. Kobe and Jesse do love litle babies but there is noway I would or could leave Jesse in the same room as the baby. I would not find Jesse in his room playing and the baby crying I would probably find Jesse hitting the baby with a wooden spoon, toy, sword or who knows what else..even his hand. So yeah you are way lucky. It totally makes a difference when you know Lani can at least come get you.. I wish I got to hold Chiara though..